Doing heavy lifting is no easy feat, and having the right machinery to get it done quickly and safely can be a massive advantage. Outrigger cranes offer many advantages over traditional equipment like forklifts or other types of conventional machinery. In this blog post, we will explore the various benefits that outrigger cranes provide – from increased efficiency and higher productivity levels to cost savings on long-term projects – while outlining why they may be just what you need to maximise your heavy lifting operations.
What is an outrigger on a crane?
An outrigger is an additional support system that extends from the main body of a crane and increases its stability when used for heavy lifting or other operations. Outriggers are typically composed of four horizontal beams, known as booms, which spread outward horizontally and connect to footings at the ground level.
By anchoring the outrigger to the ground, it adds extra stability and helps to prevent a crane from tipping over when lifting heavy objects. It also prevents the crane from dragging or sinking into soft soil. Outriggers are an essential part of any mobile crane’s operation.
What are the benefits of outrigger cranes?
- Outriggers provide increased stability and safety when operating, which increases efficiency levels and reduces downtime associated with lifting heavy objects.
- Thanks to their increased stability and safety, outrigger cranes can lift heavier loads than other types of conventional machinery, which leads to higher productivity levels.
- Outrigger cranes are highly efficient, meaning that they require less energy and resources to operate over time. This translates into cost savings for long-term projects.
- Outrigger cranes are designed to be used in a variety of environments, from factories and warehouses to construction sites and outdoor areas. This versatility makes them an ideal choice for many different businesses.
- Outriggers greatly reduce the risk of accidents involving tipping or other dangerous incidents when operating.
When to use an outrigger:
- Outrigger cranes can help to reduce downtime associated with construction projects by providing a safe and efficient way to lift heavy building materials.
- Outrigger cranes are great for lifting and moving large containers, pallets, or other heavy items within factories and warehouses.
- Outriggers can help to quickly move shipping containers from one area of a yard to another.
- Outrigger cranes are great for any situation that requires the lifting of very heavy objects, such as bridges and large pipes.
Outrigger cranes provide a number of significant advantages for businesses. By taking advantage of the benefits that an outrigger crane can offer, you can make sure that your business is getting the most out of its heavy lifting operations.